JEROME -- Idaho's spring steelhead season opens today, Jan. 1. Anglers will need a 2015 fishing license and steelhead permit.
The Idaho Department of Fish and Game said spring steelhead season is open on:
The season runs through April 30 in most areas, except:
- Salmon River from its mouth to the posted boundary 100 yards downstream of the Sawtooth Fish Hatchery weir, near the town of Stanley.
- Little Salmon River from its mouth to the U.S. 95 Bridge near Smokey Boulder Road.
- Snake River from the Washington state line at the confluence of the Snake and Clearwater rivers upstream to Oxbow Dam.
- Clearwater River mainstem and Middle Fork Clearwater River from its mouth to Clear Creek.
- North Fork Clearwater River from its mouth to Dworshak Dam.
- South Fork Clearwater River from its mouth to the confluence of American and Red Rivers.
- Boise River from its mouth to the Barber Dam.
Steelhead are in the Boise River only when stocked by Fish and Game. Here steelhead are defined as rainbow trout longer than 20 inches with a clipped adipose fin. During November, 950 steelhead were stocked in the Boise River. Barbless hooks are not required in the Boise, but anglers must have a steelhead permit to fish for and keep steelhead, the agency said.
- On the Salmon River from Lake Creek Bridge to Long Tom Creek, about a quarter-mile upstream of the Middle Fork, the season ends March 31.
- On the Little Salmon River, the season runs through May 15.
- On the Snake River from Hells Canyon Dam to Oxbow Dam, the season runs through May 31.
- On the Boise River upstream to Barber Dam, the season ends May 31.
Statewide, steelhead anglers may use only barbless hooks (except in the Boise), and may keep only hatchery steelhead marked with a clipped adipose fin. All other steelhead must be released unharmed.
Steelhead limits for the spring 2015 season are three per day and nine in possession. The statewide limit for the spring season is 20 steelhead. Once limits are reached, anglers must stop fishing.
More information about steelhead fishing in Idaho: Fishandgame.idaho.gov/public/fish/?getPage=38
Spring Steelhead Season Opens Today
Times-News, January 1, 2015
See what you can learn
learn more on topics covered in the film
see the video
read the script
learn the songs