Here are some updates on fish returns to the Columbia River provided by state Fish and Wildlife:
Fall Chinook dam counts
Steelhead dam counts
- 6,247 adult fall Chinook have passed Bonneville Dam through August 7.
- The counts for the past three days are the highest daily counts for those dates since 1989.
Lower Columbia mainstem sport
- Counts of steelhead at Bonneville Dam for July 1-August 7, 2013 total 96,758 fish.
- To date, the total counts is tracking less than expected but daily counts over the past three days have been above average.
- Passage at Bonneville Dam (July-October) is typically 50% complete by August 14.
- During August 1-4, anglers made 6,700 trips on the Lower Columbia and caught 185 adult Chinook (171 kept and 14 released) and almost 3,500 summer steelhead (1,547 kept and 1,930 released).
Columbia River Fall Chinook Counts Highest at Bonneville since 1989
Seattle Times, August 9, 2013
See what you can learn
learn more on topics covered in the film
see the video
read the script
learn the songs